Based in over four decades of research of the Master’s and Disaster’s of relationships, we know what makes marriage work. Utilizing the work of Dr. John Gottman, author of What Makes Love Last and 7 Principals for Making Marriage Work, you will gain practical tools for bettering your communication, friendship, and intimate life. Whether you’re looking to build a solid foundation in pre-marital counseling, healing from an affair, or anything in between, you will find the tools and support you need at Sonya Jensen Counseling & Coaching.
Gottman™ Method Couples Therapy guides the therapist to identify and assess the unique strengths and growth points that can build and stabilize the bond between two people. Thorough assessment tools guided the work of Dr. John Gottman to understand the predictors of marital instability and also the unique ways in which the master’s of relationships navigated conflict.
Effective intervention tools developed by Drs. John and Julie Gottman seek to support couples in the following ways:
- Re-sparking passion, intimacy, and friendship
- Increasing emotional closeness and building fondness and admiration
- Reducing perpetual and gridlocked conflicts
- Improve communication by eradicating criticism, defensiveness, contempt, and stonewalling
- Healing after an affair or other attachment injury
- Increasing dream language and conversations in an attempt to build dreams for the future
This scientifically-backed approach and thorough assessment process offers both hope and healing to all couples. Sonya Jensen Counseling & Coaching offers 3 modalities of the Gottman™ Method Couples Therapy:
- Couples counseling
- Pre-marital counseling
- Marathon/Intensive Therapy
Traditional weekly couples counseling, premarital counseling and marathon/intensive therapy all begin with an in-depth assessment process that includes several phases:
- Structured, initial joint session that reviews the couples history and events leading up to current needs and reasons for seeking couples therapy
- Confidential online assessment created by the Gottman Institute that identifies the couples strengths and challenges
- Individual sessions with each partner, allowing them to share their personal history and perspectives with the therapist
- A joint, feedback session where Sonya Jensen, LMFT will share the results of the full assessment, treatment plan, and goals for work together
If you’re curious about the health of your relationship, or know that your relationship is in need of help, don’t wait. Research shows most couples wait approximately 6 years from the first signs of trouble prior to seeking therapist. Don’t worry, there’s is help and hope and any stage. Its wise to seek support early, contact us now!
Here is a quick video about Gottman Method Couples Therapy: https://youtu.be/Hr2C4EAVJzI